Project Leads: Michael Kumpf, Emery Wilson
Sponsor: The College of Chemistry
TGIF Mini-Grant: $2,000
Project Theme: Waste Reduction
2013 Application Submission
Status: In Progress
Project Description: UC Berkeley currently has no formal program in place to allow for lecture bottle-size compressed gases to be reused by other researchers on campus who have a need for the same product, even for bottles that are hardly used or unused. Once a researcher purchases a lecture bottle-size compressed gas cylinder and no longer has a need for it, the only recourse available to that researcher is to store it as part of the lab's chemical inventory indefinitely or arrange for its costly disposal. Despite small localized efforts to exchange chemicals between research groups, the College of Chemistry's large size limits effective sharing. This project will add an important resource to the existing chemical ReUSE program while supporting the College's waste minimization efforts.
DONATE CHEMICALS TO REUSE!!!
The Chemical ReUse Facility relies on donations from labs like yours to keep its stock up.
Support our Green Chemistry ethic & campus sustainability efforts
by donating your excess chemicals!
New for 2014/2015: Now accepting Lecture Bottle donations!
· Quality-In, Quality-Out (donate chemicals that are in good shape!)
· In original product containers only (exception: elemental metal pieces)
· No cracked bottles, broken bottle lids, defaced labels, etc.
· No expired or contaminated chemicals (free of glass like pipettes tips as well)
· No water-logged hygroscopics
· Lecture Bottle labels intact; tare & net weights notated; no corrosion present on valves