Installation of Bottle Refill Stations and Fountain Retrofits 2012-2013
Project Lead: Trish Ratto, Brian Joseph
Sponsor: Health*Matters, University Health Services
TGIF Grant: $25,000
Project Theme: Water Conservation & Tap Water
I Heart Tap Water Website
I Heart Tap Water Pledge
Project Description: Funding will be used to install three bottle refill stations and sixteen bottle filler retrofits. The locations for stations and bottle refill tretrofits are identified based on the following criteria:
- Current water fountains meet the Design Guidelines for Installation of Bottle Refill Stations in Existing Buildings
- Lowest cost installation for refill stations (plumbing only, minimal electrical work, if needed and no major construction)
- ADA compliant fountains for water fountain retrofits with bottle fillers; only some styles of fountains can be retrofitted with bottle fillers
- High traffic location in buildings with the highest general classroom assignments
- Building manager approval
This proposal builds upon the 2010 and 2011 TGIF grants, which funded the Design Guidelines for Installation of Bottle Refill Stations in Existing Buildings and installation of a total of 6 refill stations and 2 water fountain retrofits.
Goals: Continue to improve access to tap water on campus, which supports the use of reusable drinking containers and reduces the purchase and disposal of single-use plastic water bottles. Support campus goals to reduce waste, improve tap water accessibility, and foster a sustainable culture. Prioritize water fountain retrofits with bottle fillers for a total of 16 and the potential for 5 additional refill stations. Work with campus departments and PP-CS to institutionalize future bottle refill stations as part of any new construction projects. Collaborate with I Heart Tap Water, Take Back the Tap, Building Sustainability at Cal, and the UCB Nutrition and Physical Activity Work Group. Track campus bottled water sales and track bottle refill station use with the station’s automatic counters.