Project Leads: Kiana Kazemi, Sarah Xu, Sarah Naameh, Satchi Thockchom
Sponsor: Students of Color Environmental Collective (SCEC)
Project Theme: Education, Outreach, and Behavior Change
Project Description: The #OurEnvironmentalism campaign seeks to reclaim the legacies of environmentalism and sustainability for communities of color and challenge the white-dominated, inaccessible narrative of modern environmentalism. It will accomplish this by sharing personal stories of sustainability, highlighting EJ-focused students and activists of color on Cal’s campus, and share the work and legacies of environmental activists of color around the world. The hope is to use this project to further the diversity, equity, and inclusion movement within the College of Natural Resources, the Berkeley environmental community, and the environmental movement at large.
Goals of Project:
- Intentionally & meaningfully engage with and address a broad number of issues impacting BIPOC & marginalized communities globally, and uplift stories of communities that are historically underrepresented at UC Berkeley including, but not limited to, Indigenous and Black communities.
- Engage UC Berkeley leadership at all levels with demands by SCEC’s Open Letter to the College of Natural Resources.
- Increasing UC Berkeley students’ understanding of what environmental justice actually means by deepening conversations around social and environmental inequalities.
- Empowering UC Berkeley students to actively engage in and become strong participants in the current environmental justice movements.
- Conduct a survey for students to detail what their needs and visions are for the Environmental Movement and from #OurEnvironmentalism to ensure the community’s needs are heard and addressed.